Subject: Re: Met broadcasts in Dallas
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Dec 2016 11:40:04 -0500

I don't want now and never did want a "staggering range of live
opera" to make me happy, and I don't think a performance that
is available at any time on a variety of devices, deserves to be
called "live".  I have been to a great many operas in the past,
sometimes as many as two a week, and have collected shelf
loads of recorded ones, some of which have yet to shed their
shrink-wrap, but, call it nostalgia if you must, I always have
found it especially satisfying to reserve the time for a truly live
transmission like the Saturday matinees or those ever more
infrequent (if not altogether vanished) PBS offerings.  The
feeling of a special event originating in a real place in real time
is simply more rewarding to me than the sort of sound track
to life that a continuous stream of music out of nowhere can
deliver.  It's a generational thing, I guess.

dtmk