Subject: Cavalleria rusticana
From: Genevieve Castle Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Dec 2016 01:15:42 -0500

Several days ago on Twitter.

====Begin====

MARK BERRY:  Didn't get the attraction of Cavalleria rusticana, I'm afraid.
Manages somehow to be both bland and crude.

TERESA MUIR:  As a person of Sicilian descent, I find it borderline
offensive. I find Verismo to be sort of an Italian minstrelsy. Or slumming.
I seem to be rare in that assessment, though.

MARK BERRY:  What is the attraction? I just don't get it at all. Afraid I
found it mildly dull. Not horrendous, but I wouldn't bother hearing it
again. Genuinely interested to hear why many people love it. I didn't
dislike it either, was more nonplussed.

TERESA MUIR:  For a lot of people, Cavalleria is "real" opera. And it is,
if you consider "real" opera to be a certain kind of Italian singing. Lots
of people do.

MARK BERRY:  Hmmmm.... Sometimes I wish it had stopped with Claudio
Monteverdi.

TERESA MUIR:  Yup.

PAUL MCCREESH:  You do not believe that; but I know what you mean, I would
still love music if it had stopped after Josquin Ave Maria.

JAMES LERER:  An extremely influential work, no matter what one thinks!
Was just reading an article by John Tyrrell saying how much Janáček got out
of the work. So I guess I don't really care what Mark Berry or Teresa Muir
think. Forget labels (verismo): it is exceptionally well wrought, and would
not have lasted did it not have its effect. Besides, the great thing about
the arts is that it really is a matter of taste and opinion. And it's not
really worth fighting about taste, especially if people want to keep their
ears closed.