Subject: Re: Victoria de los Angeles
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Dec 2016 04:24:48 +0000

Dan:
You have certainly spoken for me. In my response to the individual (W.G. or whatever he calls himself) who initiated these comments about Victoria de los Angeles, I should have realized the futility of such an endeavor. To post what he did about this great artist says FAR more about him than it does about the great artist he is not only bashing, but totally disrespecting. Out of the many highly intelligent and cordial posters on Opera L, this person stands out in bold relief as the most insulting, arrogant, and ignorant person I have ever encountered on this Board. To build a private obsessional shrine for ANY singer is psychologically a little suspect. To compound the embarrassment by bashing a legendary artist to advance an obvious obsession with another artist of the same generation is sheer lunacy.
Victoria de los Angeles needs no defense. Her legacy in sound speaks for itself. I am rich with memories of seeing her in recital on many occasions (close to twenty in different venues), and I've got all of her greatest recordings. It was she who awakened me to the vocal riches of the great Spanish composers, the French composers, as well as some of the best renditions of certain lieder of Brahms, Schubert, etc. I found her voice to be ravishing, and her ability to sound so idiomatic (regardless of the language sung or composer she was performing) to be astonishing (Her versions of Schubert's Wohin" and Mein" are alone testimony to her supremacy, as well as her renditions of Duparc's Invitation Au Voyage. Moreover, I find it significant that a Spanish soprano made her official debut as Strauss' Ariadne Auf Naxos" would eventually find her way into Wagner's Eva and Elisabeth. The Spanish composers are a foregone conclusion.
I've received many supportive personal responses about W.G. and there is one common denominator: The guy is definitely two tacos short of a combination plate!
Les M./Chicago