Subject: Re: Met broadcasts in Dallas
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Dec 2016 22:26:54 -0500

Peggy Houdek wrote:

"But now, on any given Saturday, there are so many choices.  I think we are very blessed to
have all this wonderful opera to listen to ó itís just sometimes hard to choose."

Peggy makes an important point.  The Met broadcasts, for those who want to listen to them,
are widely available online from sources other than WRR.  (I lived in Dallas for 4 years, from
1978-1982, and as I recall the Met broadcasts were received via a phone line!  Needless to
say, the sound was not stereo.)  This is the future of classical programming.  Tastes have
changed in the listening public, and if the WRR letter was "cold-blooded" (in Mike Leone's
words) it made a lot of sense in terms of the bottom line, which the station absolutely has
to consider.  What surprises me is that no wealthy Dallas opera lovers could be found to
help sponsor the broadcasts.

The sheer amount of live opera available online from all over the world, in good sound, is
rather overwhelming and far surpasses what we had available even 15 years ago.  I frankly
don't care if my local classical station does not carry the Met; it can be had elsewhere, along
with much else.

I, too, remember with fondness the thrill of when the Met broadcast season started up back
when I was young.  But I don't let nostalgia blind me to the staggering range of live opera
online today.

MDW