Subject: frank drake
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Dec 2016 14:54:34 -0600

Sadly, Frank joins a growing number of friends I’ve met via this forum over the years, some of whom, like Frank, I knew in person and others who were the email equivalent of “pen pals.”

I remember two halloween parties Frank hosted at his Chicago home quite a long time ago. Also, he joined us occasionally when our local opera record club was still in existence - but he was only rarely available. We exchanged many emails.

Other late friends I got to know from Opera L were Murray Schlanger, whom I never met but with whom I often corresponded and even spoke with on the telephone a couple of times; Mike Richter, who lived near my home for the last few years of his life and whom I visited as often as his health would allow; and Chuck Fry, who became a good friend. Indeed, Chuck joined the record club and hosted a number of meetings to share with us selections from his large opera collection.

Speaking of large record collections, I’ll always be indebted to Mike whose generosity in sharing music with everyone is unmatched.

Alas, the older I grow, the more sad announcements like today’s I’ve come to expect. To quote Kurt Vonnegut, “So it goes…”

Kurt Youngmann

“The most erroneous stories are those we think we know best -- and therefore never scrutinize or question." - Stephen Jay Gould