Subject: Re: Met broadcasts in Dallas
From: Peggy Houdek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Dec 2016 14:53:44 -0500

Oh my, Robert J.  What memories that brings back.  I arrived in Lenox in May 1980 and immediately discovered WAMC from Albany and RJL.  He could be annoying, but I loved his crazy programming.  Where else could you get 5 hours of Welsh music on St. David’s Day.  If I didn’t like his choice of the day, I just turned it off.  I certainly missed him when left.  WAMC also had at the Met Broadcasts, Tanglewood live, and  still do, but mostly otherwise, it’s now talk.   WFCR in Amherst has become much stronger and I can now get it in my car all the way over in Pittsfield!

  I continue to marvel how much we have available now with the internet.  When I was a kid, I couldn’t wait till the Met broadcasts began in the fall.  It was so exciting, and living in California, it came on in the morning, so it really sliced up the day.  But I wouldn’t miss it for the world.  But now, on any given Saturday, there are so many choices.  I think we are very blessed to have all this wonderful opera to listen to — it’s just sometimes hard to choose.

all best,

(,,,) ^..^(,,,)

> On Dec 5, 2016, at 2:21 PM, Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Growing up in Connecticut, I started listening to the broadcasts on WFCR (NPR) out of
> Amherst - they did do some classical music besides (the iconic "Morning Pro Musica" with
> Robert J. Lurtsema 7 days a week, plus symphony broadcasts, etc), but they also carried
> the usual NPR fare - not all music by any means. Sometime in my teens, Connecticut also
> got their own public radio station, and they also carried the Met - but similarly they carried
> their own mix of NPR programming. The radio station at the University Of Hartford (the
> home of the Hartt school of music) also carried their own opera broadcasts (recordings) on
> Sundays.
> In any case, classical music on the radio is still alive and well - especially now that we can
> access stations from all over the world via the web. I know that some people out here just
> like to gripe gripe gripe gripe gripe, but I think we should be quite grateful for what's
> actually out there. And in fact, streaming radio carries a perk - no annoying problems with
> antenna reception. ;-)
> On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 10:53:35 -0500, donald kane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> The big mistake here is regarding the Met Opera Broadcasts as a
>> part of the ongoing insipid pap that calls itself  "broadcast classical
>> music".
>> It sort of works here in NYC, where we still have the watered down
>> semblance
>> of what used to be one of a number of authentic classical music broadcasting
>> venues: WQXR.  It ain't what it used to be, but it does provide the Met
>> matinees.  Truth is, the Met on the radio every Saturday was once a special
>> event, not an example of a station's regular programming.  It was provided,
>> without commercials, as a prestigious service to the community by a network
>> such as NBC. Eventually, in NYC, it was carried by WOR, a primarily talk-'
>> oriented local station replete with a daily menu of live shows featuring a
>> variety
>> of subjects.  It was the real thing, radio as it was meant to be; if you
>> wanted to
>> listen to a disc jockey you simply twisted the dial.  Sadly, the truth must
>> be
>> faced; on the airwaves today, the dollar - and the dumbest audience -
>> rules.
>> dtmk

Modify your settings: