Re: Victoria de los Angeles

Arbe Bareis <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Dec 2016 00:35:14 +0000

text/plain

Thanks for your comments, Bob. What I recall about  de los Angeles in the last 15 years of her career was that when she walked out on stage, she bewitched the audience with her soul and presence in a way that no other singer has before or after. That magic is something that is only marginally captured on records and video documentations. There was something truly magical about HER. Friends who saw Jennie Tourel told me that the great mezzo had this quality as well.

      From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Sent: Monday, December 5, 2016 3:31 PM
 Subject: Victoria de los Angeles

I'll be brief. My first live opera ever was Manon at the Met on 13 Nov
1959, with de los Angeles and Gedda. I fell in love that night. I didn't
know much about opera, but I knew a lot of vocal music. She sounded
wonderful and the audience, most of whom knew a lot more than I,
rewarded her with huge ovations at every turn.

Several comments have been made about her vocal deterioration by
the late fifties, but judging from this performance and the 58 Otello,
she had some very good days. And she is the soprano on my absolute
favorite live performance of Tannhauser - the famous/infamous Bayreuth
Tannhauser of 1961 with Bumbry, Windgassen Fisher Dieskau, Greindl
and Crass under Sawallisch. Bumbry was protested by racist groups,
and the revival made headlines around the World. De los Angeles was
glorious from beginning to end, from top to bottom. Her voice was more
than able to handle both the weight and the tessitura of the role. Everyone
performed at the highest level and it has been available in great
sound for lo these many years. You can't go wrong!

If there were compromised performances there were also some that
approached perfection. And she continued to charmaudiences in
concert and recutal for another 35 years.

Not so brief, after all.

Bob