Subject: ARTISTS' EVENTS
From: Bob Dilley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Nov 2016 04:54:02 -0500

Forsooth Opera Lovers!

Today we can celebrate the birthdays of:

Radu Lupu (1945)
Charles Alkan (1813-1880)
Sergei Lyapunov (1859-1924)

Also, the following works premiered on this date:

Massenet's "Le Cid" (1885)
Donizetti's "Poliuto" (1848)
Alfano's "Risurrezione" (1904)
Romberg's "The Desert Song" (1926)
Massenet's "Don Cesar de Bazan" (1872)

The quote for today is:  "I have departed from this planet and I have
left behind my poor earthly ones with their occupations which are as
many as they are useless; at last I am living in the scintillating
splendor of the stars, each of which used to seem to me as large as
millions of suns."     Jules Massenet.

Let us remember Beniamino Gigli (1890-1957) and Wilhelm Furtwangler
(1886-1954) who joined Heaven's Choir on this date.

VINTAGE ICON CLASSIC MOVIES DEBUTS:  On this date in 1935 Charles
Dickens's SCROOGE made its epoch debut starring Seymour Hicks.

VINTAGE ICON COMIC STRIP DEBUTS: On this date in 1938 Chic Young's
DAGWOOD AND BLONDIE made its long running debut starring Arthur Lake and
Penny Singleton.

As always, a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our birthday artists for today and
all forum members who share their birthday with them.

ARTISTS' EVENTS salutes these artists for their enduring contributions
to the world of classical music.

ARTISTS' EVENTS honors the following Hall of Fame peerless artists for
their profound contributions to the world of opera:

Tenor of all tenors Enrico Caruso (25 February 1873-2 August 1921)
Coloratura prima donna assoluta Erna Berger (19 October 1900-14 June
1990)
Soprano prima donna assoluta Rosa Ponselle (22 January 1897-25 May
1981)
Prima contralto assoluta Fedora Barbieri (4 June 1920-4 March 2003)
Baritone unequaled Leonard Warren (21 April 1911-4 March 1960)
Basso profundo of all bassos Ezio Pinza (18 May 1892-9 May 1957)

In memory of the following first rate artists for November 2016:

Primo tenore Aureliano Pertile (9 Nov 1885-11 Jan 1952)
Coloratura stupenda Gianna D'Angelo (18 Nov 1929-27 Dec 2013)
Soprano prima donna Lisa Otto (14 Nov 1919-18 Sep 2013)
Contralto assoluta Rose Bampton (28 Nov 1907-21 Aug 2007)
Baritone unparalleled John Forsell (6 Nov 1868-30 May 1941)
Basso profundo Jerome Hines (8 Nov 1921-4 Feb 2003)
Distinguished virtuoso Eugene Istomin (26 Nov 1925-10 Oct 2003)
Preeminent conductor Giuseppe Sinopoli (2 Nov 1946-20 Apr 2001)
Premier composer Joaquin Rodrigo (22 Nov 1901-6 Jul 1999)
Featured premier Jules Massenet's "Le Cid" 30 Nov 1885

NON CLASSICAL RECORDINGS OF MERITORIOUS ARTISTIC EXCELLENCE:

"Mas Canciones," Linda Ronstadt
"Canciones de Mi Padre," Linda Ronstadt
"Jardin Azul: Las Canciones Favoritas," Linda Ronstadt
"Greatest Italian Songs," vol 1, Connie Francis
"Greatest Italian Songs," vol 2, Connie Francis
"Spanish and Latin American Favorites," Connie Francis
Bing Crosby: "White Christmas," with sales of over 100 MILLION copies.
Also, he was the best recording artist of the 20th century with over
half a BILLION records in circulation.

May ARTISTS' EVENTS put a smile on your face and a song in your heart
each day.

Pace e Gioia,

Bob Dilley
FIAT VOLUNTAS DEI