Subject: Re: Josef Schmidt (formerly, OPERA/Lanza/Schmanza)
From: Isaac Alan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Nov 2016 07:47:24 +0000

The truth, I fancy, is here below by Jon Goldberg.

In my own opinion, there are many ways to judge a tenor, and a few more ways to judge an operatic tenor, however, none of these should include the ability to sing at the two extremes of the possible vocal range. If you listen to Schmidt's recording of Nessun Dorma, it is clear that he was struggling with the repeat of those opening two words, I doubt that he had anything tonally viable below those four notes.  on the other hand....There is no other....Sorry I had a sudden vision of  Tevye.

On the other hand, he quite obviously had no problem above the stave if you consider his recording of the postillion aria. His Italian diction left a lot to be desired, and he sometimes crooned or used excessive portamento to move up. However, these things can be forgiven as the uncorrected faults of a young singer, who was a microphone radio star

before, and in place of, valuable stage experience.  That he was an opera singer is without question, that he possessed a beautiful and exciting voice is also without question; that he had musicianship, and could sing with great style and taste is self evident.

Anyone who thinks that Mario Lanza couldn't sing opera is seriously impaired in one way or another.

J C Thomas was great to listen to, had a very exciting and warm sound, but his intonation was varied and he was a lazy singer to my mind, a great showman, hardly up to anything more than a celebrity appearance in opera to wow the crowds.

Nelson Ackerman Eddy I would be cautious of judging, he had real talent, and he could sell a song like only a handful. I wouldn't mind betting that in his prime he was up to just about anything vocally.

Regards,

Isaac Alan