Subject: Fwd: Fidel Castro
From: "ls111553 ." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 27 Nov 2016 22:22:07 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: ls111553 . <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: Fidel Castro
To: Myriam Hernandez <[log in to unmask]>

Thanks for this excellent post, Myriam. I understand and share your
frustration. For decades, I've seen how the dictatorship that razed our
island to the ground and never rebuilt it is glorified by American and
European "progressive" media and individuals who, while living in the
comfort that only a free capitalist society can allow, and taking for
granted the liberties we never had, gleefully subscribe to whatever the
latest New York Times editorial page points to or inconditionally buy
anything the Michael Moores or Sean Penns of the world sell them, no
returns allowed. They follow their gurus while wallowing in rivers of
fashionable "white guilt", which to me is one of the most demeaning forms
of racism. I have had to contain my temper when well-meaning friends tell
me about the wonderful time they had in Varadero last month. "I loved it!
Cubans are fantastic, sexy people who drive around in "classic" American
1950s cars, always laughing and cracking jokes, and the incredible music!"
"I'm glad I went before it becomes Americanized, and the island is littered
with McDonalds and Walmarts all over the place!"
If I can find the time, I'll write a long post in response to Jason's. It
will not be about opera, but everyone has been discussing Hillary/Trump in
Opera-L for weeks, so yes, there is a lot of politics in this list and I
really don't care if I get kicked out.

Best regards,

Luis

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 11:16 AM Myriam Hernandez <[log in to unmask]>