Subject: Re: Fidel Castro
From: Rcfgodoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 27 Nov 2016 11:52:40 -0500

BRAVA!!!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Myriam Hernandez <[log in to unmask]>
To: OPERA-L <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sun, Nov 27, 2016 10:16 am

I wonder how many of you who extoll Castro's Revolution's virtues have
lived in Cuba? How many of you have endured the rigors of a rationing book,
which only provides food and basic staples for ten days of the month? Or
when your child has asked you to give him a piece of meat have cried tears
of frustration because you don’t have any? Or have run to a pharmacy trying
to get relief for a headache and found that not even aspirin is available?
How many of you have been harassed by neighborhood stool pigeons because
you have a meeting with friends and family in your home? Or thrown in jail
for expressing a dissenting opinion from that of the regime's ideologic
line? How many of you have stayed in a Cuban hospital, where hygiene does
not exist, where cockroaches wander at their leisure through rooms and
aisles, and where band aids, syringes, and gloves are nowhere to be found?
All of this, in stark contrast to the hospitals where the Cuban elite and
the tourists are cared for, which have all the technology and hygiene
available. How many of you, after studying a university career for a number
of years can't exercise your freedom of thought or speech and are only
allowed to read the books and literature authorized by the regime? And most
importantly, how many of you have felt oppressed and smothered living under
a regime where citizens are treated like trash and where all your
inalienable rights are systematically violated through beatings and
harassment? You can't possibly know because most probably none of you have
lived that kind of life month after month, year after year. You can't
possibly know, because that is not the picture painted by most in the
media, who only paint a vision of a romantic hero, his so-called heroic
deeds and his “magnanimous love and dedication” to the Cuban people. Sometimes
it is so easy to pass an opinion or a judgment from afar, but I say, if you
really want to know about real life in Cuba, go there and live there like a
common Cuban national. Maybe it will help you understand why Cubans flee
the island at the first opportunity, even risking their lives at sea.

Myriam