Subject: Re: Kelemen and Karajan
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 26 Nov 2016 14:19:46 -1000

I know people who call the original Mussorgsky the Boris "with the treble turned down."

I also know people who consider the Rimsky "vulgar."

To me, they're two completely different operas with common thematic material.  I appreciate both although I prefer the more austere original (although even "original" performances have someone's orchestral touch-ups).

I think the Karajan set is a terrific recording in terms of performance and it's also one of Decca's best engineering jobs.  In terms of audiophile quality, it might be the best Karajan complete opera.

Kelemen did a number of "Neidlinger" roles but I found Kelemen's voice more beautiful.  That didn't stop him from being able to sound eerily psychotic as in his Klingsor.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone