Subject: Re: Kelemen and Karajan
From: London Tier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 26 Nov 2016 14:15:58 -0800

Admirable! Great voice indeed!

It is true that Karajan plays up Rimsky's vision of the work - the cold,
bleak brutality and despair of Mussorgsky's original isn't missing, but
complemented by almost fairytale-like atmospheres and dizzying orchestral
pyrotechnics, blazing, scorching and magnificently sparkling. It is pure
magic from start to finish. It is true that such an approach jettisons the
intensely human, in-your-face existential bleakness of the original, but so
what? The Rimsky is nevertheless a masterpiece, and the recording at hand
one of the glories of the catalogue of recorded music.

I'll leave it to professional music critics to complain that Rimsky and
Karajan fail to give us a Russian Wozzeck (for that, you could do worse
than seek out the Gergiev set of both earlier versions, or Fedoseyev's
version). The rest of us can safely take this recording for what it is and
thereby realise how misguided such criticisms really are!