Subject: Re: BRAZILIAN GRAFT SCANDAL ENSNARES OPERA MAESTRO
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 26 Nov 2016 11:36:14 -0500

Dear Listers,

I lived in São Paulo for four years as a Foreign Service Officer and got to know many people
in the city’s relatively small classical music and opera community.  Mr. Neschling is a very
fine musician and scholar, and I am convinced that he is being targeted by a clique of
corrupt, evil, and mediocre petty bureaucrats who resent brilliance and scholarship and who
are probably getting back at him for thwarting their malevolent schemes.

Believe me, I too had some experience of petty, mediocre and evil Brazilian bureaucrats.  I
was even assaulted in my own home by São Paulo state policemen who forcibly broke in
and tried to extort money from me after a dispute I had with one of their own, who
moonlighted as a taxi driver at night and attempted to rob me on the way from the
international airport to my home.

Just think of the U.S. Olympic swimmers and their bad experience in Rio this past summer.
I am convinced the full truth never came out, that they were framed, and I know the
Brazilian police extorted US$15,000 from one of them to give him his passport back (I
would remind you that U.S. passports are U.S. government property).

I don’t believe a word of these absurd charges and I hope that Maestro Neschling’s good
name is restored to him very soon.

Brazil is a very dangerous and lawless place and foreign visitors need to be on their guard
every moment of the day and night.

Best wishes,

Alain

Alain Letort