Subject: Re: Menotti, The Consul, "To this we've come," sung by Eileen Farrell
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 26 Nov 2016 10:18:15 -0500

David Geary said: "At home we had the original cast recording
 and knew it well. I played the Farrell for my mother, who said, Yes, it
 is beautiful but it doesn't have the desperation of Neway."

In a nutshell, your mom hit the nail square on.
It is one of those heart-rending rare operas that never seems to leave you
without a feeling of melancholy when you think about it.

I know the Met is not the proper venue for this great work -- and sad too --
because it seems more important than ever in our society today.