Subject: Re: Menotti, The Consul, "To this we've come," sung by Eileen Farrell
From: David Geary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 26 Nov 2016 10:16:04 +0100

As it happens I just watched the TV production with Neway with friends,
he is east geman and not reslly an opera fan, although his wife is. I
was interested in his reaction to the work, aand it completely shattered
him, he had been through similar things.
Some works get out of date and then come become totally related to the
present again.
There was a reviewer, and frustrated composer, in Toronto who frothed at
the mouth when Butterfly was mentioned, with its "outmoded vision of
east-west relations." Miss Saigon  updated Butterfly to the vietmanese
war with no major changes, and proved how wrong he was.
The Consul is probably more relevant to current times than it ever was.
In a peiod in which the rich western countries are refusing refugies
because of their numbers Magda Sorel's line "Must we all die because
there are too many of us?" is more shattering than ever.
When the Farrell recording of the aria came out everyone was raving
about how wonderful it was. At home we had the original cast recording
and knew it well. I played the Farrell for my mother, who said, Yes, it
is beautiful but it doesn^t have the desperation of Neway.

  David