Subject: Re: Kelemen and Karajan
From: "David M. Wagner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Nov 2016 23:35:14 -0500

Ah, a Kelemen fan! He was a worthy successor to Neidlinger, and that's saying A LOT.

And the Karajan BORIS (Ghiaurov; Talvela as Pimen!) makes a case for the Rimsky version. I don't favor a return, but this recording vindicates the opinion I've seen attributed to Rimsky - that he was rescuing BORIS for the world, and, like John the Baptist in Advent-time, preparing in the desert a highway for the Mussorgsky original.

-David Wagner

Sent from my iPhone