Subject: Re: Josef Schmidt (formerly, OPERA/Lanza/Schmanza)
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Nov 2016 22:06:10 -0500

I'm afraid that the case is not quite closed, Ray - sorry 'bout that. Exhibit C: There are NO
written high C's in "Di Quella Pira," therefore ANY tenor that sings them is interpolating them.
Doesn't matter how many he sings - they're ALL interpolated.

Case closed. ;-)

(Also, may it please the court, he sings 3 high C's, one of them in a place not usually heard.
But the cabaletta is not repeated. Any tenor singing the aria as traditionally done, but *with*
the repeat, also sings 3 C's. And the Schmidt recording shortens the musical rideout, so the
last high C is not held as long as many tenors might do in context of the opera itself. So I'm
not sure what the big deal is, lol.)

On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 19:48:45 -0500, RAYMOND GOUIN <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The silliest message in this string is the one in which it was claimed that Josef Schmidt was
not an opera singer.  Does anyone know of any other tenor who would INTERPOLATE a high C
in "Di quella pira"?  Case closed [ except for any J-A who wants to challenge the foregoing.  :)
].