Subject: Re: OPERA/Lanza/Schmanza
From: Marc Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Nov 2016 16:27:47 -0500

Early in his career, Lanza sang fully-staged operas, and received good
reviews. It is not unreasonable to suppose that if he had continued to
pursue an operatic career, he would have done reasonably well — or, as well
as one can do while dying at the age of 37, which is still quite early for
an opera singer. As it happens, his career went in a different direction
that I doubt he regretted, but there is plenty of evidence that he was a
serious singer, before that happened. This puts him in a very different
category from most of the others mentioned in this discussion.

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 3:42 PM, Tom Frey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Calling anyone who sings an operatic aria in a movie or on a TV talent
> show an opera singer belittles those artists who worked long and hard to
> become a true opera singer, Would you call Lanza, Jane Powell,Jeanette
> McDonald, Jackie Evancho.  Susanna Foster, Nelson Eddy opera singers? I
> won't and you can't make me. PS I love and enjoy them all but I must be
> realistic.

Marc Shepherd
New York, NY

Modify your settings: