Subject: Re: OPERA/Lanza/Schmanza
From: Tom Wikman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Nov 2016 20:17:11 +0000

Bob wrote: "Peter Dawson is among the truly great singers of the recording
era, and I would suggest that everyone try to hear him, and
know what John Charles Thomas could have been, had he
had Dawson's innate musicality."
Dawson certainly was wonderful, but aside from their enormouspopularity, I don't see how you can compare Dawson and Thomas.Dawson was a bass and Thomas a high brilliant baritone. Theyboth had the "common touch" lacking in many of their operaticcolleagues. To me, Dawson's vocal emission was a tad rough,as compared with Thomas' silken smooth production. Still, ahighly communicative singer. Both of them reached an audiencethat didn't go for the somewhat artificial aspects of many operasingers' presentations.