Subject: Re: OPERA/Lanza/Schmanza
From: Donald Kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Nov 2016 13:54:20 -0500

Hermine didn't seem to be bashing Lanza paricularly, but she did indulge
in one of her typically whimsical irrelevancies by dragging in Rudolf Schmidt
and Bette Midler!

When I responded to the original question from Miguel di Virgilio concerning
Opera magazine's apparent editorial divergence on the status of Lanza and
Bocelli as opera singers, I suggested that if they had labeled the former
a "not bono-fide opera singer", they might just as well have done the same
with the latter.  No one has subsequently addressed that issue, but at least
one regular poster to the list chose instead to mock Mr. di Virgilio and me
because we CORRECTLY accused him of misreading the original letter:  just two
examples of the seriousness with which some choose to discuss opera-related
topics.

dtmk