Subject: Re: Opera News Online and OPERA magazine
From: Derek McGovern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Nov 2016 11:03:05 -0500

Miguel: While it's true that OPERA never reviewed any of Lanza's performances, OPERA
NEWS certainly did. In the October 1942 edition of OPERA NEWS, the Met's Herbert Graf
wrote of Lanza was "the find of the [operatic] season" after his performances as Fenton in
Nicolai's The Merry Wives of Windsor at Tanglewood. He also predicted that the then 21-
year-old Lanza would have no difficulty in one day joining the Met.

The New York Times also published a rave review of Lanza's opening night performance
as Fenton.

Six years later---after the interruption of World War Two and then Lanza's own decision to
take time off from performing to study vocal production---he again earned rave reviews
when he performed under Walter Herbert at the New Orleans Municipal Opera House. No,
it wasn't the Met, but many great singers thought it a worthy enough venue to perform at.

No doubt the appreciative audiences who heard Lanza sing complete roles at Tanglewood
and New Orleans would have been puzzled by the assertion from OPERA's spokesperson
that he "wasn't a bonafide opera singer." Indeed, as musicologist Matthew Boyden has
pointed out, saying that Lanza---who learned complete operatic roles, recorded and
performed operatic music throughout his career, and appeared in operas from his late
teens till his late 20s, both as an amateur and a professional---wasn't an opera singer "is
a little like claiming that a painter is only ever an artist when his or her work has been
shown.

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 14:29:24 +0000, Miguel A De Virgilio