Subject: Re: OPERA/Lanza/Schmanza
From: Derek McGovern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Nov 2016 09:36:35 -0500

The Lanza denigration on this list (with Hermine its principal cheerleader) never ceases to
baffle me. The man may have had his stylistic shortcomings, but there can be no question
that he had both the voice and the musical intelligence to be worthy of some respect
here.

For God's sake: the sheer testimony from those musical luminaries who either heard him
in concert or in opera, or worked with him, should be enough to give even his most
tiresome critics here reason for pause:

http://www.mariolanzatenor.com/quotes-from-opera-singers.html

http://www.mariolanzatenor.com/myths-about-the-artist.html

And Hermine: if you actually stopped scoffing and took the time to explore Lanza's vast
discography---especially his better operatic recordings and the best of his Neapolitan
song renditions---you might find a significantly greater artist than the one you keep
mocking:

http://www.mariolanzatenor.com/a-radical-reassessment-part-v.html

Enough with the Lanza bashing.

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 14:47:40 -0800, Hermine Stover
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>While I tear out my mohawk, I read this and fell into a swound:
>
>>The main difference between Lanza and Schmidt is that from a vocal point of
>>view Lanza could have sustained an operatic career but it doubtful if
>>Schmidt could have done.
>

>nevertheless I am of a forgiving mind and send you this delight:
>
>https://www.queerty.com/rare-footage-captures-bette-midlers-1971-farewell-
performance-at-nyc-gay-bathhouse-20150131?
utm_source=Queerty+Subscribers&utm_campaign=f7eb125442-
20161124_Queerty_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_221c27272a-
f7eb125442-429341201