Subject: Re: thoughts
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Nov 2016 06:28:03 +0000

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm only reflecting on how this hit ME. To begin with, I dislike countertenors and I always have. Having said that, I have to admit a certain surprise and fascination with the way this artist navigates through this tremendous lied. I've never heard a vocal artist distinguish SO vividly the different characters. When I first heard his intonation of the father, my jaw dropped. The Erlking sounded slimy yet seductive, etc. I'm going to "favorite" this because I find it very unusual and unique.
I'm not sure whether Schubert intended the song to be performed this way, and I'm sure a lot of fellow posters may not like it. I need to hear it several more times. One thing I do think: It sure as hell ain't boring!