Subject: Chicago 'Les Troyens' and a Question
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 24 Nov 2016 14:51:19 -0500

I am just back from 'Les Troyens' in Chicago on the 21st, and don't have
time to post a full review, except to say that I thought the greatest
achievements came from the chorus and the orchestra, which Andrew Davis has
brought to a level of playing that is astonishing when I think back to the
pick-up band that Bruno Bartoletti used to lead in the 60's.

But I do have a musical question I hope someone can answer.  Before Aeneas
enters for 'Inutiles regrets' I am used to hearing a rather pedestrian duet
for two Trojans wanting to leave Carthage.  Last Monday there was instead a
rather interesting chorus of Trojans wanting to leave Carthage.  Can one of
the List's musicologists enlighten me?

Thanks.

David Kubiak

P.S.  Every time I hear the great duet, which was exquisitely played and
sung, I think it must be the most beautiful music in all of opera.