Subject: Re: Prandelli- His recordings
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 24 Nov 2016 06:57:09 -0600

Has anyone mentioned the Mefistofele selections from the 1948 Boito Memorial Concert at La Scala conducted by Toscanini? The other singers were Herva Nelli and Ceare Siepi. The concert commemorated the 30th anniversary of Boito’s death.

The only time I had the pleasure of seeing Prandeli was as Rodolfo in Lyric’s first performances of Boheme, his only Chicago role. (The Mimi was Rosanna Carteri). But I do have many of the recordings already cited and this conversation has stimulated me to start listening to them.

Kurt Youngmann

> On Nov 24, 2016, at 5:07 AM, Juan Dzazopulos <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Besides the Decca and HMV mentioned below, Giacinto Prandelli had already recorded several arias in the late '40s.  His first complete recordings were for the Italian Cetra: Adriana Lecouvreur (with Carla Gavazzi); Fedora and Francesca da Rimini (with Maria Caniglia). All in 1950. In 1951 he recorded for Remington label, Lucia di Lammermoor (with Renata Ferrari-Ongano). In 1953 for Columbia label La Rondine (with Eva De Luca) and in 1954 for HMV (EMI) Amelia al Ballo (with Margherita Carosio).
> His live recordings included several not common titles such as: Leoncavallo's Zazà; Catalani's La Wally and Ignaz Holzbanner's "Günther von Schwarzburg" (I have never heard it!).

"The key to the mystery of a great artist is
that for reasons unknown, he will give away his energies and his life
just to make sure that one note follows another... and leaves us with
the feeling that something is right in the world.” -
Leonard Bernstein.