Subject: Re: OPERA/Lanza
From: Shirley Moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Nov 2016 21:07:25 -0500

I met Maria Stader at the Aspen Music School long time ago where she was on
the faculty for at least one summer.  My voice lessons with her were
somewhat problematic. Her English was not good and I was never quite sure
what she meant. She placed a big emphasis on breathing. Concept of a rubber
ball - somehow I got lost on that concept, even though she drew pictures to
illustrate.   She told me she went to bed every night by 8 pm and didn't go
out socially.  She and I were about the same in stature.

Many years later she came to Baltimore to see a doctor at the Johns Hopkins
Eye Clinic. She evidently had macular degeneration.  The Peabody
Conservatory was helping her with the visit and my voice teacher, Wayne
Conner, a member of the faculty asked if I would take her on a little jaunt
around Baltimore.  I did and got promptly lost in some questionable parts
of the city. We did have a nice cup of tea after at her hotel and she told
me some stories.  I tried to record them but wasn't successful.

Shirley