Subject: Re: OPERA/Lanza
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Nov 2016 15:24:06 -1000

Stader was tiny; possibly just made that way, possibly a result of malnutrition in wartime Budapest.  She was "rescued" to live in Switzerland just before adolescence but always had deportation hanging over her head as her visas ran out, and she ended up being passed from family to family, staying one step ahead of deportation police.

She sang Queen of the Night at Covent Garden.  She also sang German Radio complete (as complete as they did it) performances of Lucia and Violetta as well as the Fricsay studio Mozart recordings for DGG: Kostanze (excellent!), Pamina, Donna Elvira, Countess as well as a significant amount of Lied and oratorio work.

I still consider hers the "reference" recordings of Bach's "Jauchzet Gott" and Mozart's "Esultate Jubilate" and "Et Incarnatus."

She wasn't a singer who fussed much with warm-ups.  A group of friends once went into her room, woke her and asked her to sing a high C.  She did and went back to sleep.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone