Subject: Re: OPERA/Lanza
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Nov 2016 19:39:49 -0500

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 3:27 PM, william kasimer <[log in to unmask]>
> BTW, Peter Dawson, one of the truly great singers of the 20th century,
> also sang a handful of operatic performances early in his career, and I
> wouldn't call him an "opera singer", either.  Ditto for Joseph Schmidt and
> Maria Stader.

Hi Bill and list,

I join a few listers who recently posted about their pleasure in always
learning something new on this forum. I'm embarrassed to say that I've
never heard of Peter Dawson and I'll seek out some of his recordings. I'm
sure it must be rewarding to hear him.

I'm in complete agreement with your general point, but would have to take
exception to the "ditto" examples :-) (unless I misunderstood something...)

I don't know the circumstances for Stader's sporadic, or rather negligent
in number, appearances in opera houses, but I think her recordings show all
the qualities of an operatic soprano. I wouldn't want to be without her
Konstanze and Pamina, and she also did quite well as Marzelline, IMO.

I'm not as much familiar with Joseph Schmidt but my hunch is that he might
have had a solid opera career had he not lived in utterly brutal
anti-Semitic times. Or at least we would have had him on complete opera
recordings (I think his height also worked against his stage presence).

Just my two cents!

Best, Vesna

Modify your settings: