Subject: Re: All hail for HERODIADE at Washington Concert Opera (11-20-16)
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Nov 2016 23:44:02 +0000

If my memory serves me (which it might not), I seem to recall a live CD performance of this opera with Caballe in the title role and with Placido Domingo in the tenor role. I don't know the venue of origin but I know that it took place ---- probably in the late 1980's.
Personally, I've never really investigated this opera. I'm so entrenched in the Strauss work, and so used to the Wilde original, that I somehow have an approach/avoidance feeling about this Massenet opera. I love Massenet, and I've got quite a few of his operas, but not this one.
It kind of makes me think of that lousy 1953 Hollywood movie Salome , in which Salome becomes a heroine in trying to SAVE the life of John the Baptist. Rita Hayworth was certainly beautiful enough as Salome, and Judith Anderson was a bitch of a Herodias, but the film was an embarrassment. I'm sure that Massenet's opera has far more merit, and I still have a hard time with it. Only my personal feelings and opinions. No judgements or pronouncements. Maybe I need to listen to it.