Subject: Re: All hail for HERODIADE at Washington Concert Opera (11-20-16)
From: Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Nov 2016 21:09:40 +0000

>Donald, I agree that it is mostly forgettable, but it's better than Thais and Esclarmonde, a lot better than Esclarmonde!

Well, that's one man's opinion, and that a man with whom I normally agree.  In this instance, however, I personally find both Thaïs and Esclarmonde, my other two favorite Massenet operas besides Manon, to be much better than Hérodiade.  Don Quichotte is fourth and Hérodiade, well, somewhat lower than that, IMHO, and, for that matter, Werther too, which I just don't "get"...

Mike Leone
[log in to unmask] il Leone!