Subject: Re: All hail for HERODIADE at Washington Concert Opera (11-20-16)
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Nov 2016 15:09:47 -0600

No specific cast information in my source (Forty Years of Opera in Chicago by Edward C. Moore, published 1930) but Herodiade was performed in the 1913 / 1914 season (and perhaps others) and Garden was on the roster at the time. So it may have happened. Indeed I’d bet on it.

A quick glance at the operas being staged in those days shows some unusual and/or forgotten works: Monna Vanna (Rachmaninoff), Le Jongleur de Notre Dame (Massenet - a big role for Garden); Le Sauteriot (Sylvio Lazzari); Sapho (Gounod); Dinorah & Gli Ugonotti (Meyerbeer); Azora, the Daughter of Montezuma; A Daughter of the Forest; I Gioielli della Madonna (Wolf-Ferrari); Francesca da Rimini (with Garden whose photo as Fiora is shown); Griseldis (Massenet); Madeleine (Herbert); Königskinder (Humperdinck) etc. The list is fascinating and lengthy and includes works and composers I’ve never heard of.

From everything I’ve heard (largely from our late friend, Andy Karzas) and read, Garden pretty much reigned supreme in Chicago - both as performer and, later, general director (or, as she billed herself, “directah”).

Kurt Youngmann

> On Nov 23, 2016, at 12:46 PM, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Probably Mary Garden would have been given anyhing she wanted
> during her French period, particularly in Chicago. She may even have
> done it? Anyone know?

"Opera in English is, in the main, just about as sensible as baseball in Italian." -
H. L. Mencken