Subject: Re: OPERA/Lanza
From: william kasimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Nov 2016 15:27:49 -0500

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 14:30:53 -0500, Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I cannot speak for Bocelli (who, by the way, has a really beautiful and
>sweet voice), but Mario Lanza was in both Falstaff and Madama Butterfly.
>Those ARE considered real operas aren't they?

Four performances hardly made Lanza an "opera singer".  If a pianist plays four recitals,
would you call him or her a "concert pianist"?

I don't mean to belittle Lanza's accomplishments, but I think that it's silly to berate a
magazine called OPERA for not giving him a few column inches.

BTW, Peter Dawson, one of the truly great singers of the 20th century, also sang a handful
of operatic performances early in his career, and I wouldn't call him an "opera singer",
either.  Ditto for Joseph Schmidt and Maria Stader.

I'd also bet that certain singers who perform frequently in nonoperatic venues would object
to being called "opera singers".

Modify your settings: