Subject: Herodiade; Okka von der Damerau
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Nov 2016 12:59:48 -0500

I do wish not only the Met, but even LOC (heck, they just did Les Troyens, which I experienced the opportunity because of a charitable (we may also have to rely on personal charities for more basic needs, as the government has indeed abandoned us) wealthy friend of a friend gave us BOX SEATS for the matinee, Margaret DuMont, eat your heart out)  to see; more later on my political interpretation; and the mezzo who sang Anna was WONDERFUL, such power and beauty, Okka von der Damerau).

Herodiade is castable these days; maybe Hymel or Jovanovich could sing Jean; Jamie Barton in the title role; others?

Of course, I look with nostalgia on that highlights album with Crespin and Gorr, which should have been a complete performance.

I think the first two acts work better as a whole; act three has some good parts, but meanders, and act four is too quick a wind up of everything that has gone before. But what opportunities for voices, yes voices. Even the title role, which is not as big as the part of her long-lost daughter, in the hands of a powerhouse mezzo with high Bs (yes, high Bs, perhaps it is more of a falcon role), can bring the house down. I like the barn storming duet with Phanuel particularly.

Modify your settings: