Subject: Re: Elisabeth Grummer
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Nov 2016 20:48:14 -0500

I recently ordered a 10-CD set of her substantive, quality recorded work; it contains both studio and live performances.

The live Lohengrin with Gorr is literally out of this world, and I really enjoyed the disk of oratorio selections. A most poignant Libera me from the Verdi Requiem. Not the usual voice for the work, but so sensitive and the phrasing is so natural. Her recording of the soprano aria from the Brahms German Requiem is close to perfection:

If there is an afterlife, I hope to hear her voice there. It is truly the radiant voice of an angel. Like Victoria de los Angeles (who had quite a different instrument), she exudes a joy without affectation, a sincerity without self-righteousness.

Modify your settings: