Subject: Re: Elizabeth Grummer
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Nov 2016 12:29:38 -0500

I believe the classic Countess of Della Casa also ought to be mentioned
here. Grummer, Della Casa, Jurinac, Steber, M. Price, Te Kanawa, all
glowingly beautiful and firm in tone. No contest for me between them but,
on the account of interpretation alone in this particular aria, I give a
slight edge to Della Casa on the Kleiber set, Steber on her Met broadcast,
and Jurinac on her Glyndebourne film excerpt. Here the Countess expresses
her inner thoughts and it needs be a bit more introspective than usually
delivered. (Te Kanawa also accomplishes it in the film version, but
unfortunately sometimes there is a bit of blandness elsewhere.)

Of course, all of them are wonderfully noble Countesses and you can hear in
each interpretation a myriad of emotions that Mozart-Da Ponte expect from
her,-- from her melancholic look at the past to the bitter disappointment
with the Count’s current infidelity, but also a mischievous smile at the
prospect of teaching him a lesson (“But what harm is there in it?”). Not an
easy aria to pull off.

Speaking of Grummer, it's so rewarding to read the memories of her live
performances. On recordings, her Elsa remains definitive to me. And her
Pamina follows close behind as do many of her other roles.

Vesna