Subject: Re: Elizabeth Grummer
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Nov 2016 03:49:20 -0800

In terms of the sheer quality of sound, to my ear, Grümmer's was one of the most beautiful soprano voices.  Another was Jurinac.  Both mated that lovely quality with a very affecting clarity and straightforwardness in their musical style.  Personally, I have a difficult time enjoying the quality of a voice that doesn't have textual (vowel) clarity, which both these ladies did have.

Another favorite "Dove sono," which I haven't tried to find on YouTube yet, was Steber from an early 40's performance conducted by Walter that had Sayao and Pinza in the cast.  I used to have it on open reel tape.

Jurinac made two complete studio recordings of the Countess (EMI under Gui and Philips under Böhm) although older friends have told me that neither captures the special poise and radiance they heard from her live in the role.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad