Subject: Re: Fidel Castro
From: "David M. Wagner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Nov 2016 01:09:17 -0500

Not exactly, but about ten years ago the Virginia Opera staged it in a mixed-race Caribbean location. The stars were Susan Pierson's Leonora, Thomas Rolfe Truhitte's Florestan, and Charles Robert Austin's Rocco (all white).

But the show was nearly stolen by the electrifying Pizarro of Derrick Parker, who made him sort an Emperor-Jones-wannabe. When his march-tune started, the stage business had him still dressing: he angrily tossed back a shirt to a frightened subordinate, who supplied him with another one that he mercifully accepted and buttoned up (short-sleeve khaki - tropical climate, you know) just in time to climb down the stairs from the catwalk and shout "Die Despechen!"

(I think the director was Lillian Groag. She did all of Va. Opera's most interesting productions in the 2000's.)

As friends of Tom Truhitte, my daughter and I went backstage to see him afterwards. Derrick was in the corridor, but he was still too scary for me to greet or give a personal bravo to. I thought I might quickly become "Totgeglaubter."

Derrick has a profile page on the website of Guy Barzilay Artists. He's singing mainly as a bass (Ramfis, Raimondo, Colline, Banquo), but with an occasional Belcore in the mix.

Remember, Pizarro had higher-ups in the government to be afraid of. Castro did not - unless one expected a Soviet boss to swoop in on him with a surprise inspection and free all his prisoners.

-David Wagner

Sent from my iPhone