Subject: We are still citizens of the world
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 27 Nov 2016 20:39:05 -0500

Though we all love opera and share our love of opera with each other, we are
also human beings and citizens of the world.  While the reactions to the
presidential election were perhaps somewhat protracted, it was an historical
event that at least momentarily eclipsed our "raison d'etre" on Opera L.  It
was intense for about a week and as people reconciled themselves to it, we
all moved on.  The passing of Fidel Castro is a significant event,
especially for Americans, Cuban Americans, and the Cuban people still
residing on the island.  Whatever the opinions people express, it's really
not important.  It's an event of historical significance.  Though I was not
a member of this Board on 9/11, I would find it incredible to discover that
no one on Opera L (if it was in existence at the time) discussed it, since
it was event of such earth-shattering proportions.  In fact, I'd have been
horrified if it was "business as usual" ANYWHERE in the wake of 9/11.
     I find it very human and quite the norm for people on Opera L to react
to a monumental historical event.  We are not opera-robots programmed only
to discuss opera at all times.  If an historical event unfolds, is it not
human to feel the need to vent about it?   Opera IS the reason we are here,
but we ARE human beings as well as "citizens of the world" witnesses to
    These Cuba/Castro postings will diminish, of course, as the world moves
on, as it must.  Sociologically, posters here are reacting in a predictable
fashion.  When important stuff with ramifications occur, you need to cut
people some slack.

Modify your settings: