Subject: Dove Sono
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Nov 2016 16:51:00 -0500

There are many bbeautiful recordings, and I believe that most of
the ones I admire have been mentioned, though I did not see
Elisabeth Schwarzkopf's name. It deserves a place in any list
of great performances.

But, my two absolute favorites are, Tom Ponti's choice, Kiri, Te
Kanawa and Vesna's, Lisa Della Casa.

They are very different. Kiri takes your breath away with that sheer
tonal splendor that is uniquely hers, very much like her Richard
Strauss song recital, as perfect as voice ever gets, and
Della Casa brings a wistful melancholy that eludes every other
performance I know. It is an intrinsic part of her tone, and it worked
miraces in many roles, both on stage and on record.

I take nothing away from the others, but these two have a special
place in my affection, especially Della Casa.

Modify your settings: