Subject: Re: Met Titles | Are they worth writing to Peter Gelb about ?
From: Bob Kosovsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Nov 2016 16:07:17 -0500

> Recently I attended a performance of “Guillaume Tell” at the Met, and
was very much
> annoyed that there were no titles in French.  Only English, German, and
> Spanish, a language that has never been associated with opera and which
one seldom
> hears spoke at the Met during intermissions.

Unless I'm invited, I always stand/sit in the Family Circle.  Ever since I
first attended the Met in 1970, I have always heard an ample amount of
Spanish spoken, no doubt because (quoting Umberto Eco): "New York is
really a bilingual city."  I would surmise that affluent Hispanic speakers
contributed the money to enable their community to share in the experience
of reading Met Titles.

Perhaps the recent influx of thousands of French immigrants (just walk on
West End Avenue on a Saturday morning) will result in adding French to the
Met's language choices for titles.

   Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users