Subject: Re: Clara Petrella (was Mario Del Monaco as Des Grieux)
From: Paul Ferraro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Nov 2016 10:38:18 -0500

During my "operatic formative" years I, too, saw Mario in many of the roles
Mr. Hoffman mentioned - I might add that included in the cast was the
equally magnificent Leonard Warren - if only I could have seen them together
in Forza (what a partnership), but I'm so thankful I did manage to catch
them together for some performances.

While we have had some exciting Italian spinto drammatico tenors since his
retirement (Nicola Martinucci, Gianfranco Cecchele, Robletto Merolla, & of
course the "Prince of Tenors", Franco Corelli) no one has quite equaled
Mario's majesty & splendor, especially as Otello!

DonPaolo