Subject: Re: Gypsy Obsession
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 15 Nov 2016 20:00:00 -0500

Don,

Perhaps you and I interpret the language of the realm differently, but the
general consensus on the posted site (which I agree with) is that Midler
was - at best simply adequate, a pencil  (dare I say crayon?) sketch as
opposed to an oil painting.  I have both the Midler and Staunton on DVD and
- Hallelujah! - Staunton's is the version I will return to when I want
to approach "definitive" in this encyclopedic role.

I for one don't regret Merman's not doing "the movie."  The voice as voice
was a Tsunami, but in close up as an actress she was a flat liner -her
movie career is proof of this.  In the diffuse book of "Anything Goes" the
Mama Rose sort of dramatic specificity might have been irrelevant, but in a
"Music Drama" like "Gypsy" it is exactly the point.  Subsequent Rose's like
Lansbury, LuPone, and Staunton have revealed aspects of Rose beyond "The
Merm's" comprehension.  Midler, at best is an "also ran..."

Steve