Subject: Re: Opera Conductors - MTT
From: janosG <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Nov 2016 16:46:57 -0800

> Date:    Sun, 20 Nov 2016 18:47:47 -0500
> From:    R PRADA<[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Opera Conductors
>
> Even when I was in school at Teatro Colon I was singing with some good, and s=
> ome great conductors. =20
>
> Peter Maag was one of the greats. I worked under him in three Mozart operas.=
>   He was a genius. At the time Lopez Cobos was his assistant, or we used to s=
> ay, he was holding his coat. My God, he was amazing. He died young and that w=
> as sad for everyone.
> RP
As those who have heard San Francisco Symphony concert performances of "Flying Dutchman," "Peter Grimes," etc. know, Michael Tilson Thomas could have a great career as an opera conductor if he ever chose that path... which he hasn't and probably won't, not even by walking across Grove Street to the War Memorial, something for which I'd give an eyetooth.

MTT even "redeemed" himself with the second semi-produced "Fidelio" after the low point of the first when his narration nearly overwhelmed an otherwise excellent musical performance.