Subject: Re: Clara Petrella (was Mario Del Monaco as Des Grieux)
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Nov 2016 16:46:37 -0500

Les

I saw Petrella very late in "Il Tabarro" at Rome, and though her top
range hardly existed, she was marvelous in the role., and received
a huge ovation with tons of flowers at the end. It was around 1970,
and I think she retired a very short time later.

2 performances to look for -

Iris from Rome 56 with Di Stefano, Christoff and Gavazzeni. The sound
is not good, but the performance is sensational. It is a flawed opera
with a number of wonderful moments, and would be worth having
if only for Di Stefano's "Apri la tua finestra". Petrella is riveting.

Pagliacci from Scala 55 with Di Stefano. It will tell you exactly why
Di Stefano was toast before 1960, but there is simply no final scene,
studio,or live, that comes close in sheer excitement. Many say he
shouldn't have, and maybe that's true, but I would be much the poorer
for having not heard it. It expanded my idea of that which is possible.
She is an equal partner, in every way, and in 1955, she could really sing.

Why is she not a bigger International star? Maybe it was her choice.
Along with her voice and her acting skills, she was a very handsome
woman. If it wasn't her choice, I have no idea. She was the total package

Bob