Subject: Re: Mario Del Monaco as Des Grieux with Clara Petrella
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Nov 2016 21:20:20 +0000

Thanks so much for sharing this sixteen minute segment. It's the whole final act, which somehow seems "tacked on" to the rest of the opera. Still, I find it very dramatic, and though I find del Monaco here STILL very unremittingly loud, he's effective in his own way. I've become rather impressed by Clara Petrella, whose Nedda, Butterfly, and Manon Lescaut represented here, are all very vivid characterizations. I'm curious as to why she never enjoyed an international career. She may not have had a Tebaldi caliber voice, but she certainly was an in-your-face singer who wrenched a lot of emotion from the music she was singing. I wonder how well she's represented on Italian recordings. I'd like to hear more of her.
Les