Subject: Re: Alternate Tenor for Manon Lescaut Recording Redux
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Nov 2016 14:04:09 -0500

The Album was wonderful, much more satisfying than the recent
attempt at Puccini by Kaufmann, but it may have been made by a
more youthful Konya than the one who was competing with Corelli,
Tucker, and Bergonzi. There are numerous recordings of his way
with a number of Italian roles sung in German that are also more
persuasive than the few I heard him do at the Met.  But as Bob Rideout
        has suggested, Konya had no real competition at the time as Walther
or Lohengrin and, IMO, Parsifal.

dtmk