Subject: The Met
From: Michael Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Nov 2016 12:37:18 -0500

 Got caught up with the Met during the past week and saw three productions.
Despite the fact Levine is no longer in front of them very much, the
orchestral playing remains superb. And methinks the overall quality of the
singing. If I wished Hymel in Wm Tell had a scootch more voice, he did sing
the difficult role well. But in the three works I saw, there were no
disappointments vocally, the aforementioned Tell, Manon on Monday and then
the final Jenufa of the season.

At the Tell, the Orchestra threw flowers at Luisi, it was apparently his
last scheduled performance with the Met.

But the productions! Tell was incomprehensible, and Hymel lurched around
the stage as if he were on an ocean-liner in midst of a bad crossing.
Idiotic "sets" and no direction. The Manon would have you believe the
townspeople at Amiens in 1941 had such good relations with the Nazis that
they could taunt them in the cafe. And how the unions allowed the singers
to go up and down those staircases...in the old days I would have gone
several times but the production and un-necessary intermission after the
short first act precludes that. The Jenufa works much better.

Michael