Subject: Sandor Konyain Italian Opera
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Nov 2016 12:18:08 -0500

Don Paolo

I'm with you on Tucker, but emphatically not on Konya
I saw him in a lot of Italian Opera - Turandot, Boheme, Tosca,
Aida, Fanciulla, Butterfly and Traviata and I disliked all of them
except for Radames, which was really pretty good. Boheme
and Traviata were particularly poor,so I have no expectation
that he would have been to my liking in much Italian opera.

The truth is that his competition, Corelli, Bergonzi and Tucker,
are all legends of post WWIi Italian opera. I might have
been more positive in my reaction had he not been up against
those giants, all of whom had huge exposure at the Met. His
voice was fine, but not very idiomatic, and the top register was
very iffy, "now you see it, now you don't. I found much of his
Calaf depressingly labored.

Conversely, I loved him in Lohengrin and Meistersinger, among the
great Germanic lyric/spinto vocalists of all time. Bacchus, not so
much, but outside of James King I never heard a good one?

Bob