Subject: Re: Opera News Online
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 19 Nov 2016 14:25:46 -0500

David Coco wrote:

"Now [Opera News] just seems to be a bunch of People-type hype with
fancy photography. The in-depth features about the broadcasts are gone.
Along with the visually ugly Gelb productions, Opera News seems to be
another casualty of his administration."

I suppose one could blame Gelb; he's always a handy scapegoat, often
justifiably so.  But I think Opera News' content has just been a casualty of
the general dumbing-down at the Met that has seen the demise of any
really informative broadcast intermission features.  And the Met's dumbing
down has just been a reflection of the appalling dumbing-down in our
culture generally.  Shallowness and ignorance reign supreme.  Why would
the Met be any different?  One would have wished otherwise, but - as the
Emperor says in "Amadeus" - "Well, there it is."

MDW